Diwali Hanging Craft
Diwali is celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists and is an important celebration as it celebrates victory of good over evil and light over darkness.
Celebrate the festival of light this Diwali by creating this beautiful Diwali hanging craft. Perfect for any classroom or nursery setting.
Craft Items required
- Peel and Stick Gemstones
- Rainbow Cord
- PVA Glue and Spreader
- Coloured Card
- Glittering Pony Beads
- Sticky Tape
Follow the instructions below to create your very own Diwali decoration.
- Take the rainbow cord and cut to however long you want your decoration to be. We used a length of 100cm. Tie a knot in one end, leaving a loop.
- Using the glittering beads, thread the beads onto the cord until it is full. Tie a knot in the remaining end to stop them falling off.
- Cut four more pieces of rainbow cord, approximately 25cm each in length and tie a knot in one end of each piece.
- Thread more beads onto each of the four shorter length cords and tie a knot at each end to secure.
- Take the long beaded thread and at four equal spaces, tie each shorter cord onto the long one so that the shorter ones hang down. You can make as many beaded cords as you wish and tie them onto the longer cord to give additional decoration.
- Next take the coloured card and, using the scissors, cut out three large circles, 3 smaller circles, 3 large squares and 3 smaller squares.
- Using the PVA glue and a spreader, stick the small squares onto the middle of the larger squares. Do the same with the circles, sticking the smaller circles into the middle of the larger ones.
- Decorate the squares and circles with the peel and stick gems.
- Finally, using sticky tape, attach the decorated circles and squares to the knotted end of each piece of hanging beaded cord.
- Hang your beautiful Diwali craft on doors, windows or walls.